First day of classes.
Across the country thousands, maybe even
billions millions of college students are walking into their first class of the new school year. Erica is one of them as today marks the start of Pharmacy School at the University of Pittsburgh. Declan, however, is stuck at the office. No more school for him.
Also, if you are one of these students, we want to share with you a simple recipe that you might be able to try tonight! If you remember a while back (over two years ago!) we published a post called Sunday Night Mac n Cheese which was and still is one of our most labor intensive recipes. As we said back then, “let’s just say that if Easy Mac had a big mean older brother, this recipe would be it.”
Consider this recipe “Any Night of the Week Mac n Cheese.” The recipe is easy: equal portions of milk, pasta, and cheese means you can make as little or as much as you want without figuring out any math!
There’s a good chance this recipe could be made in the microwave (just cook at a lower power), which means it is potentially dorm-room friendly! If you try it out, leave us a comment and let us know!
Best of luck this semester!
Mac n Cheese
Like we said last time: “YOU MIGHT AS WELL THROW OUT ALL THOSE KRAFT BOXES…ONCE YOU TRY THIS, YOU MAY NEVER GO BACK TO BOXED AGAIN.”
- Servings – 2 to 3
- Prep time – 5 minutes
- Cook time – 20 minutes
- 2 cups of your favorite pasta (macaroni, shells, etc. – we actually used a measuring cup for this to be safe)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese (we used sharp cheddar)
1. In a large pot, mix together the pasta and milk and put over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until pasta is tender. Because all your pasta will most likely not be covered by the milk, stir every couple minutes to make sure the pasta cooks evenly and the milk doesn’t curdle,
2. Once pasta is done (there will be some milk leftover, this is good!), stir in the cheese and mix together until melted.
3. Doctor up the flavor by adding a little bit of mustard or hot sauce or just salt and pepper. Sprinkle some bread crumbs on top if you want some more texture! Bake it in an oven with more cheese on top! The possibilities are endless!
4. Serve with your favorite side and enjoy!