We had quite a weekend this past weekend. Friday evening we returned from school and work to find that the heater in our house was broken. We called our management company but they couldn’t get it fixed until Monday (they did kindly donate some space heaters). So for two and a half days, we bundled up and braved a very cold weekend here in Pittsburgh (while Erica studied for finals this week).
Here’s a behind the scenes photo of Erica all bundled up during “production” of today’s recipe:
Anyway, today’s recipe is a Declan and Erica “original”; in other words, we didn’t refer to the interwebs for inspiration (although we know this probably isn’t the first time anyone has made peas and bacon pasta). This recipe is really not that difficult to handle if you think of it in four parts: defrost frozen peas, fry bacon, cook pasta, and make sauce. Allow us to explain…
Peas and Bacon Pasta
You’ll want to start by boiling a pot of water for your bow tie pasta. After you get this started, fry up about 6 pieces of bacon in a large frying pan.
Make sure they don’t get too crispy or else they will just fall apart in the pasta dish. Remove this from the pan but reserve the bacon fat. Chop the bacon once it has cooled.
By this time your water should be boiling so add in the pasta and cook until al dente.
Transfer the bacon fat into a saute pan and saute up a diced onion until tender.
Add in two tablespoons of flour and mix until onions are coated. Add in 1 cup of half and half and 1 cup of milk. Over low heat, stir until sauce thickens. Season with dill, ground mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Slowly stir in a cup of shredded Parmesan cheese.
Now that you have your pasta cooked, frozen peas defrosted (oops we forgot that step, go defrost them in the microwave now!), bacon chopped and sauce all sauced up, combine these in a pot an mix until combined.
Serve and enjoy!
- 12 oz bow tie pasta
- 8 oz of frozen peas, defrosted
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder,
- Salt and pepper to taste (don't salt until the end because of the bacon!)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta until al dente and drain, set aside.
- Fry bacon until partially crispy. Reserve fat and transfer to a saute pan. Chop the bacon once it has cooled.
- Using the bacon fat, saute the onion until tender.
- Mix in the flour and stir until onion is completely covered. Cook for a minute or so.
- Stir in the half and half and milk and heat over low heat. Season with dill, mustard, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring continuously.
- Once the sauce has thickened (about 5ish minutes), add Parmesan cheese and stir until cheese has melted into the sauce.
- In a large pot, combine the chopped bacon, defrosted peas, bow tie pasta, and sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!