It is officially fall. We’re sure you already know that by now but we figured we should mention it – especially since we are going to start making more fall-y meals!
This past weekend we kicked things off by trying some new recipes. One of the side dishes we made was fried cabbage (original recipe here). And if you are not from the south (like us) fried cabbage isn’t really fried but rather sauteed. So its pretty healthy…besides the bacon and butter.
Oh, and Go Pirates!
Typical southern dish: butter, bacon and fried.
- Servings – 2
- Prep time – 5 minutes
- Cook time – 40 minutes
- 1 bag shredded cabbage
- 3 to 5 slices of bacon
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Dash of apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop up your bacon and render in a medium sized pan (with high sides) until nice and crispy.
2. Add in 2 tablespoons of butter and the chopped onion. Throw in about 1 tablespoon of water to de-glaze the pan and saute for 4 minutes.
3. Turn the heat to low and add in the cabbage. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Turn off the heat and add in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the dash or two of apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve as a side and enjoy!