Happy pi day! Being engineers and loving math, we think that today is a great day! But sadly, today’s recipe will not be a pie. 🙁 We have yet to make one – but this will be our new goal for next year’s pi day!
Today’s recipe does involve baking though… These muffins are really yummy and the recipe makes a dozen so you will have enough for about a week or so of breakfasts! They’re also not super sweet, which we liked for breakfast muffins (these aren’t cupcakes!), but you could always add a teensy bit more sugar to your tasting. Feel free to play around with this recipe (we’re thinking of adding zucchini next time?) and let us know how it goes!
Carrot Spice Muffins
Vegetables in a baked good? Yes please!
- Servings – 12 muffins
- Prep time – 10 minutes
- Cook time – 30 minutes
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour (you can sub whole wheat if you want)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking spice (if you don’t have this – just use 2 tsp total of cinnamon)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2(ish) cups of grated carrots (3-4 medium carrots – it’s super easy to do with a cheese grater)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Combine flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, and vanilla together.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined. This will seem kind of dry, but it’s okay – the carrots add a lot of moisture.
5. Add the carrots and stir until evenly distributed.
6. Divide the batter between 12 muffin cups and bake at 350 for 28-30 minutes.
7. Let them cool and store them in an airtight container. For breakfast, try microwaving them for a few seconds to warm them up! Enjoy!