This week has felt like the calm before the storm. We’ve been busy with wedding stuff for 8 months now, but for some reason this week we have nothing to report. So far we’ve been able to watch Batman Begins and The Dark Knight in the same week! We’re getting ready to see The Dark Knight Rises (which was filmed in Pittsburgh by the way!) in the near future.
But things are going to start getting busy again. Erica is going to be gone next weekend for her work and then the week after she will be back in Maryland to coordinate more wedding stuff! Poor Declan has to stay behind in Pittsburgh and man the blog by himself.
Anyway, that’s all that is going on in our lives right now. Today’s recipe, black bean soup, is not as bland as our lives have been. No, this soup is creamy, velvety, and full of flavor. It stores great as a left over and is even better if you serve it over rice!
Black Bean Soup
Break out your tux and fine China, this stuff’s fancy.
- Servings – 4
- Prep time – 10 minutes
- Cook time – 30 minutes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large sauce pan, saute onion, carrots, celery, and pepper in olive oil for 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Add the beans, stock, cumin, oregano, bay leaves, wine and red wine vinegar and bring to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes until slightly thickened.
4. Remove the bay leaves and blend with an immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve with sour cream and chopped chives (or over rice) and enjoy!