Well congrats to the L.A. Kings for winning their first Stanley Cup last night after a 6-1 win over the New Jersey Devils. Now we’re pretty sure this is probably the wrong blog to be talking hockey but since we’re talking about Declan’s birth place, they deserve a shout out (though we’re still avid Penguins fans).
Okay we promise to stop talking sports for our foodie readers (unless of course the Pirates continue to win! We’re first in the division!). Today’s recipe is a very very simple dessert/breakfast recipe – scones! The hardest part is waiting for them to cool. Hope you like them!
Chocolate Chip Scones
These would also be great with some lemon or orange zest, cinnamon, or raisins, or whatever you like/have!
- Servings – 12 large scones
- Prep time – 15 minutes
- Bake time – 15 minutes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix the baking soda and sour cream in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter (see this video).
4. Stir in the sour cream mixture, vanilla, and egg until just combined. Mix in the chocolate chips.
5. Knead dough briefly on a lightly floured surface and shape into a 3/4 inch thick round. Cut the round into 12 wedges.
6. Bake scones for 12-15 minutes on a lightly greased baking sheet (we had to use two sheets) until golden brown on the bottom.
7. Serve with a glass of milk and enjoy!