What a busy weekend for us. We traveled down to Maryland Friday evening to Erica’s folks and spent all of Saturday running “wedding errands” (today marks 4 months until the wedding!). Then on Sunday we drove all the way back up to Pennsylvania to visit Declan’s folks. We actually didn’t do anything on Memorial Day except eat an amazing dinner grilled by Declan’s Dad so it wasn’t all that busy.
Anyway, today’s recipe is very similar to our original enchilada recipe but with a little kick to it – Buffalo sauce. It wasn’t too spicy for us but it might be for you. We adapted from this blogger’s recipe, she is another Pittsburgh blogger!
Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas
A new twist on an old favorite!
- Servings – 7 to 8 enchiladas
- Prep time – 10 minutes
- Cook time – 20 to 25 minutes
- 8 large whole wheat tortillas
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 green pepper, chopped and sautéed
- 12 ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese mix
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the enchilada sauce, buffalo sauce, and melted butter. Reserve 1/2 cup of this mixture for step 3. Feel free to add more enchilada sauce or buffalo sauce for more flavor!
3. In another large mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken, sautéed pepper, 1/2 cup cheese, chopped green onion and the 1/2 cup of the reserved sauce from step 2.
4. Spread a bit of the sauce on a 9×13 inch baking dish. Take your tortillas and add a heap of the chicken mixture, roll, and place seam side down in the pan.
5. Pour over the tortillas the rest of the sauce and sprinkle on the rest of the Mexican cheese mix.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is bubble and everything is cooked through.
7. Top with the Gorgonzola cheese and fresh cilantro.
8. Serve and enjoy!