Okay, so you’ve probably already seen this commercial by now (in no way are we endorsing Apple or iPhones by including this is our post (Declan actually hates Apple)):
Declan had a difficult time understanding the “hot-zpacho” joke (he also had a difficult time recognizing Samuel Jackson in this commercial) until Erica explained that gazpacho is basically a cold soup. Declan loves soups so he had to look up a recipe. Luckily, we found a recipe in one of our cookbooks. We gave it a shot and we’re really happy with the results.
Now you might be thinking, “why would a college student ever need to make gazpacho?” You’re right, an average college student probably doesn’t make (or even eat) gazpacho; but if you haven’t already noticed, we’re not your average college students, and neither are you by reading this blog! Just give it a shot, if it worked for Jules Winnfield (Pulp Fiction anyone?) on his date night, it’ll work for you. Also, if you don’t have AC like us, this is a great dinner to cool down with!
Just try it! ← Psst, this is a Mad Men reference from what episode?
- Servings – 4
- Prep time – 10 minutes
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 cups strained tomatoes (we just used one big can of plum tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
1. Either with a blender, immersion blender, or food processor, blend together the cucumber, bell peppers, garlic and cilantro for 1 1/2 minutes.
2. Add in the tomatoes, olive oil, and both types of vinegar and continue to blend until smooth.
3. Pour in the vegetable stock and lemon juice and stir together.
4. Transfer to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
5. Cover in plastic wrap and let chill in the fridge.
6. Serve cold with some pepper, cucumber and cilantro garnish and enjoy!