After readying (and hopefully trying out) this recipe, your roommate(s) are going to both love and hate you. They’ll love you because this will be the best baked beans they’ll ever have (besides Heinz baked beans) and they’ll hate you because, well… these are addicting.
Anyway, this recipe came to us via one of our loyal readers…okay it was Erica’s mom but she loves this blog…right, RIGHT?! In the pictures below, we doubled the recipe and ended up eating the whole thing!
Beans, beans the magical fruit! The more you….okay we’ll stop.
- Prep time – 5 minutes
- Cook time – 2 hours
- Servings – 2 to 4
- 2 cans of beans (white or red kidney, white northern, or navy beans)
- 3 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon black pepper (depending on how spicy you like it)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 ºF.
2. Cook your bacon until it’s browning but not crispy. Take your partially cooked bacon and chop it into semi-large chunks. Save the bacon fat.
3. Rinse one can of beans and leave the other as is, add these to a deep baking dish.
4. Mix in the bacon bits, bacon fat, ketchup, sugar and pepper to the dish.
5. Bake for 45 minutes, stir, bake for another 45 minutes, stir, and bake for a final 30 minutes. If it becomes too dry while it’s baking, mix in some more ketchup.
6. Let rest for 5-10 minutes and enjoy!