We have been so swamped lately that we absolutely needed easier recipes to try. Now, when we are in a rush or feel lazy, we tend to make a salad for dinner. And you can’t really mess up a salad right?! So today’s recipe is one of our favorites that we like to make because it is tasty, healthy, and well so stinking easy to make!
Also, because we love movies so much, how about a silent film winning the Best Picture award at the Oscars last night?! In case you didn’t know, Declan has seen 83 out of the 84 winners. Can you guess which one he hasn’t seen yet?
So easy this isn’t even considered cooking.
- Servings – 4
- Prep time – 10 minutes
- Cook time – 5 minutes
For the salad
- 1 head of lettuce or bag of lettuce
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced (ours wasn’t ripe enough so we didn’t use it)
- Tortilla chips
- Leftover or fresh chicken
For the dressing
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive, vegetable, or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon of lime zest
1. In one bowl toss together the lettuce, corn, beans, tomato, avocado and red onion.
2. In a pan either re-heat your leftover chicken or cook some fresh chicken, make sure you season with salt and pepper (and maybe some fajita or taco seasoning!).
3. For the dressing, mix everything together into a bowl except for the oil. Then whisk in the oil. Adjust the dressing to your own taste!
4. On your plate, layer on top of the tortilla chips the salad and chicken.
5. Drizzle with your homemade dressing and enjoy!