So we are both sad. Our head football coach decided to break up with Pitt via text message to go to Arizona State University yesterday afternoon. That means, for the second straight year, Pitt will be going to the BBVA Compass Something Something Bowl without a head coach. But alas, this is a cooking blog and not a sports blog so we decided to cheer each other up by making grilled cheese, spiffy grilled cheese that is.
The idea to “invent” a fancy grilled cheese sandwich came from our Facebook page when we polled our fans: “Which of these three “classic” college meals would you want to see us spiffy up and do our own version of?” Our three options were Grilled Cheese, Ramen Noodles, and Scrambled Eggs. Grilled Cheese blew the rest out of the water with a total of 4 votes! So we came up with our very own “spiffy” version of grilled cheese!
Best part is you don’t even have to follow the instructions, as long as it has cheese and is grilled, its grilled cheese! Oh, and it’s still just as easy to make.
Spiffy Grilled Cheese
Not your typical ol’ American classic!
- Servings – 1 (but make as many as you want)
- Prep time – 5 minutes
- Cook time – 10 minutes
Ingredients (per sandwich)
- Fresh loaf of bread
- 3 slices Munster cheese
- 2 avocado slices
- 2 strips of cooked bacon
- 1 slice of tomato
- Cream cheese (we used chive and onion flavored)
1. Slice your bread into thick slices and spread butter on the “outside” or the sides that will be touching the pan.
2. Spread cream cheese on the “inside” of the slices.
3. Begin stacking the cheese, tomato slice, avocado slices, cheese, bacon and cheese (in that order or else it will taste bad!). Top off with the other slice of bread.
4. Heat a pan on medium to medium-low heat and place your sandwich in it (very technical step).
5. Cook for 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and the cheese is melty. You don’t want to have the heat too high or else the bread will brown before the cheese melts!
6. Serve and enjoy!