Declan loves hamburgers. Whenever we go out to eat, he usually orders a burger unless Erica can convince him to try something new and better (and she is usually right).
However, Declan still cannot find a good enough recipe to make his own burgers. For some reason he just can’t make a good burger. Of course, Erica told him to broaden his search and try something new. He didn’t and she found one for him instead. So thanks to her trying something new we found this exciting recipe – Southwest Turkey Burgers.
That’s right, this recipe calls for ground turkey instead of ground beef. To Declan’s surprise it was very tasty and was the burger recipe that he’s been looking for. Erica was right, once again.
Southwest Turkey Burgers
Although not a traditional burger, this recipe will be sure to excite your taste buds.
- Servings – 6 burgers
- Prep time – 10 minutes
- Cook time – 20 minutes
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 ounce can chopped green chili peppers drained
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch of pepper to taste
- 6 hamburger buns
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix together with your hands. Make sure everything is evenly incorporated.
2. Form 6 small patties out of the mixture and set aside on a plate (we made 4 larger patties which took longer to cook).
3. Heat some olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook about 3 of the patties for 4 minutes per side or until they look like the picture below.
4. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook for another 6 minutes a side.
5. Cook until the middle of the burger is no longer pink. This time will vary on how thick your patties are.
6. Serve on the hamburger buns with a bit of guacamole and enjoy!