It’s actually surprised us how long it took us to finally post our guacamole recipe. As you know we love to make and consume Mexican food. And most Mexican foods require that you eat it with guacamole on the side.
Guacamole, if you don’t know, comes from an avocado which is actually a fruit. The more you know.
Before we actually begin with the recipe we are going to show you step by step by step how to get the “meat” out of the avocado.
1. Hold the avocado firmly in a mitt or an oven thingy.
2. Using a large sharp knife, cut into the avocado lengthwise until the knife hits the seed and begin to rotate the knife around the seed.
3. Pull apart. Grab a hold (still using the mitt) of the half with the seed and lightly strike the seed with the heel of the knife.
4. Twist the knife so the seed pops loose.
5. Around the non sharp side of the knife, place your thumb and pointer finger around and slowly pinch the seed until it pops off the knife.
6. Again holding the avocado half in a mitt, cut lengthwise and then crosswise to make a sort of checkered pattern.
7. Use a spoon to scoop out these little cubes of avocado meat into a bowl.
And now onto the recipe…
There’s nothing more we can say other than…it’s amazing.
- Servings – 8
- Prep time – 20 minutes
- Cook time – None
- 4 small or 3 medium-large avocados
- 1 lime
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 small red tomato
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (You can add more or less depending on how spicy you want it. The 1/2 teaspoon just gives flavor, not really any spiciness.)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl smash the avocado flesh with a potato smasher until a creamy yet still chunky consistency. Squeeze half of the lime juice into the bowl.
2. Finely chop the cilantro and red tomato (leave the seeds out) and add to the bowl.
3. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and cover with plastic wrap.
4. Put in the fridge for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld. Taste and add any more of the seasonings if you want. Serve and enjoy!
P.S. – The recipe for the burger in the picture is coming soon!