So we found out this week that we made the list. What list you ask? This list – 30 Best Blogs for Cooking for One (in College) by Accredited Online Colleges. We are pretty thrilled but even more excited to find other bloggers with the same focus as us, namely cooking in college. We took some time, read through the list and came up with some of our favorites that you should definitely check out as well:
- The College Culinarian – Kate is a PhD student and on a budget, kind of like us! But we’re still undergrads…
- Clearly Delicious – Helana is a PhD student on a budget…geez these PhD students are showing us up!
- Cooking Between Classes – KJ is a senior majoring in Journalism…and is also on a budget
Okay, moving on (yeah let’s see if these PhD’s can keep up), today’s recipe, corn cake, is actually Erica’s Mom’s. If cornbread had a sexier twin, this would be it. Corn cake is…well it’s…hmm, it’s hard to describe in words so we guess you are just going to have to make it yourself to find out!
Our roommate Mike says,”It was moist, creamy, corny, hearty, and delicious. Simple ol’ American classic.”
- Servings – 8 side dish portions
- Prep time – 5 minutes
- Bake time – 50 to 60 minutes
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 can sweet corn (drained)
- 1 can cream corn
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 8 oz. container sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican or cheddar or anything you like)
1. In a large mixing bowl mix everything together except for 1 cup of the cheese.
2. Preheat your oven to 350ºF and spray a casserole dish with a non-stick spray.
3. Pour the batter in the casserole dish and top off with the other cup of cheese and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
4. Serve warm as a side dish, or as a snack, or just eat it all – but as always enjoy!