How many times can you find us in this video? (BTW this is a Pitt football game day tradition)
Weekends during the fall in Pittsburgh are almost always devoted to football. Saturdays are for cheering on our Pitt Panthers and Sundays are for our Pittsburgh Steelers. Now, since it’s the weekend we’re a little more laxed on the nutritional values of what we eat while rooting on our teams to victory.
Growing up, Declan and his family always had a nice spread while watching the Steelers. Declan still tries to keep up this tradition by cooking up a perfect football meal either for the Panthers or Steelers every weekend, of course with the help of Erica.
One of his favorite football meals is Italian Sausage Sandwiches, so guess what today’s recipe is?
Italian Sausage Sandwiches
Nothing says football is back than a nice sausage sandwich in one hand and a Terrible Towel in the other.
- Servings – 5 sandwiches
- Prep time – 5 minutes
- Cook time – 20 minutes
- 5 Italian sausage links
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 5 hoagie rolls
1. Cut your onion and peppers into long strips and sauté them over medium heat in a large pan for 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly tender.
2. Add the sausage links into the pan. Push the vegetables to the outer edge and make sure there is space between the links. Brown each side for 2 minutes.
3. Pour the sauce into the pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Flip the links over once during this step.
4. Wedge a sausage link into a bun and top off with the veggies and sauce and enjoy!