Try saying that tongue-twister ten times in a row. Today’s recipe was passed down to us from a little old lady from the Greek Isles…just kidding we found it in one of our cookbooks. “Hey, what’s the deal here, I thought there was going to be a theme for this week? You started Monday with Mexican food, but now Greek food?”
Stout observation, but no, the theme for this week is not Mexican food. It’s actually “Stuff-You-Cook-In-A-Pan-And-Serve-On-Edible-Circles” Week, and you thought we were your typical cooking blog! Come on, we’re way more original than you think.
So for this week we are introducing you to a recipe that is very quick to make and as always, delicious!
Peppered Pork Pitas
You can really impress your friends and family with this easy and oh-so-tasty meal. Although you can probably roast your own red peppers, we think it is easier (and way more convenient) to just buy a jar from your favorite grocery store. They run about $3 a jar.
Servings – 3 to 4
Prep time – 10 minutes
Cook time – 10 minutes
1 pound of pork chops
7 oz jar of roasted red peppers (we buy a 12oz jar, use half, and keep the rest for quick and yummy pasta and pizza toppings)
1/3 cup of mayonnaise (use light or low-fat!)
2 tablespoons of milk
2 cloves of finely minced/chopped garlic
1. Cut your pork chops into slices (finger-thick).
2. Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the slices, just enough to coat, and season with salt and pepper.
3. Over medium heat, cook the pork slices in the pan for about 5-6 minutes, until pork is no longer pink in the middle. While pork is cooking, drain the peppers and cut into strips.
4. Once pork is cooked through, pour in the roasted red peppers and cook over medium-low heat until the peppers are hot.
5. While this is heating, combine mayo, milk, and garlic into a bowl and mix together in a bowl until everything is incorporated.
6. On a pita loaf, serve the roasted red peppers and pork and drizzle with the garlic mayo cream. Serve with a side of veggies (we had corn on hand) and enjoy!
Let us know how it went and if you have any suggestions in the comments below!