“Uhh, D&E why did you start off this week with that?!” Well, aside from our obsession of the 1960’s , it’s a hint of where we are going for vacation this summer…that’s right we’re going to CALIFORNIA! We are so excited! For one, we get to visit Declan’s family and for two we get to eat our favorite food in the world…MEXICAN!
Since our trip is still 65 days away, we just have to share our favorite meal with you, FAJITAS! No joke, this meal has been our staple for the past year… actually it’s the first meal we ever cooked together! So without further ado…
Extremely versatile meal that can easily exclude the chicken to become a vegetarian meal or substitute the chicken for steak (but we’re in college so…) If you haven’t bought fajita seasoning from Penzey’s yet you can always buy a small packet from your local grocery store to make sure you actually like it first.
- Servings – 3 to 4
- Prep time – 5 minutes
- Cook time – 10 -15 minutes
- 2 thawed boneless chicken breasts
- Pack of flour tortillas
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 small onion
- Fajita seasoning
- 1 can of re-fried beans*
- Sour cream*
- Mexican cheese*
1. Cut your chicken into “french fry” like strips…or any shape you desire but the longer and slimmer they are, the faster they’ll cook.
2. Cut both peppers into long strips as well, again refer to this video for tips on cutting peppers.
4. Over medium to high heat, brown your chicken strips for 2-3 minutes a side or until evenly cooked.
5. Throw in your peppers and onion into the pan, cook until tender. Tip: add a little bit of water to the pan to give the veggies a little steam.
6. Add the fajita seasoning to your desirable amount, everything in the pan should be coated evenly.
7. If you want to be somewhat authentic, heat up a can of re-fried beans. Refer to the instructions on the can. Oh and make sure to wear a sombrero during this step, it’s extremely important.
8. Serve with sour cream and cheese on a flour (or corn) tortilla and enjoy!
Let us know how it went!