The one food we have the trouble with in the kitchen is pizza, yes pizza! We can never seem to get the crust crispy enough or the cheese bubbly enough or, you get the drift. Of all the college staples pizza, dear readers, has eluded our mastery.
This past weekend we unlocked the secret to making tasty pizza. First we trashed (not literally)all the traditional ingredients found in pizza – marinara sauce? Yeah right, how about some caramelized onions. Pepperoni? Only for babies, why not some sweet apple chicken sausage. Mozzarella cheese? Okay, well that’s alright.
Next we made our own pizza dough instead of using a store bought pre-made dough. Here is a link to the recipe we used which was super easy: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/master-pizza-dough/detail.aspx
Finally, we topped it all off with some fresh arugula for a little extra bite. In the end, we had to force ourselves not to eat this entire pizza in one sitting! We hope you like it too.
Warning: This pizza is highly addicting, proceed with caution!
Caramelized Onion Sausage Pizza
Print this recipe!
You’ll never go back to boring old pizza again.
- Servings – 8 slices
- Prep time – 5 minutes (without including time for caramelizing onions or making pizza dough)
- Cook time – 20 minutes
- Pizza dough for a 14″ pizza pan
- 2-3 onions, caramelized (check out the link above on how to make them – you don’t want to skip this step!
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 links of sweet apple chicken sausage, sliced (about 3oz; we got ours at Trader Joe’s)
1. Pre-heat your oven to 400F.
2. Sprinkle a pinch or two of cornmeal over your pizza stone or pan and roll out the pizza dough to cover the surface. Roll in the edges to create a crust (we brushed some olive oil over ours and sprinkled some garlic powder yum!)
3. Bake for 5 minutes to get the dough a bit crispier.
4. Remove from the oven and evenly spread the caramelized onions.
5. Sprinkle the cheese and top with the slices of sausage.
6. Bake for another 15 minutes or until the sausage begins to brown.
7. Remove from the oven and top with a handful of arugula.
8. Slice, serve and enjoy!